Thursday, March 25, 2010

A New Friend

If any of my friends manage to get to Chicago while we are here, I'll have to introduce you to my new girlfriend, Olive. I know this comes as a shock to you, since my wife and I have been married for almost 36 years. But Olive is different. Olive goes everywhere I go, Olive does everything I do. Wherever I am, she's there. She doesn't say much, but we are inseparable, literally inseparable. Olive you see is my IV pole. She's tall and skinny, hence the name Olive and we are attached to one another, by tubes. She'll be my constant companion for the next month or so, as I undergo chemo, then the transplant, then IV anti-rejection drugs. I have learned that handling one of these poles is an art. Maneuvering takes practice, getting in and out of doorways is a challenge, and there are other activities not helped by Olive's presence. She is, however, giving me one great thing in return, she makes it possible for all the treatments I need to happen. So, I will gladly take her everywhere.
Deacon John
March 24, 2010
St. Peregrine, Pray for us.
Blessed John XXIII, Pray for us.

1 comment:

Sean Murray said...

Deacon John: I believe I know your friend Olive. Upstanding, always by your side, strong Polish stock. May her visit with you be fruitful - and as short as possible. Blessings!

Sean

www.myelomayoureloma.blogspot.com