Thursday, May 1, 2008

Still Waiting

All of the tests required by the insurance company were completed last Monday. This past Tues. April 29, the Oncologist here in Louisville went over the results of the tests with us. Everything was good. The bone marrow biopsy indicated that the cancer has not metastasized and is not wide spread throughout the marrow. The blood tests were good, even the pulmonary function tests were good, despite the difficulty I had breathing due to spring allergies. All of this information was forwarded to the University of Chicago Hospital, who will send it to the insurance company. We even completed a psycho-social evaluation by phone, and I think we passed, somehow. I wanted to use my favorite line from the old television series Night Court, quoting the judge’s father who had been in a psychiatric hospital and say, “but I’m feeling much better now,” but I decided the interviewer would fail to see the humor. Oh, well. We spoke to the Nurse Administrator in Chicago and she said it could be two weeks.

During the time since my last chemo, Poindexter the Tumor has grown back to his original size, if not larger. I also found another small knot in my chest. We called the transplant team in Chicago in case these were important developments. Apparently they are. I just spoke with Dr. Cohen in Chicago. This call came in as I was typing this. He is going to recommend 2 or 3 more rounds of chemo before having the transplant. This will push the transplant back into August or September. To say that I am disappointed would be an understatement. But Dr. Cohen said the disease needs to be under control before the transplant in order to give the transplant the best chance to be successful. Ah well, another chance to learn patience. God has led us so far, and my trust hasn’t failed, yet. It is, however, getting difficult. Keep praying!

Deacon John
Feast of St. Joseph the Worker and the Feast of St. Peregrine
May 1, 2008
St. Peregrine
Pray for us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It isn't for us to question the path God has chosen, we do though get to curse the stones as we stup our toes along the way.

Remember the prayer of one of my favorite saints (Teresa of Avilla)

If this is how You treat your friends, it's no wonder You have so few.

Useful at a time like this, wouldn't you say?

Much love, and prayers for healing and peace coming your way. If you need anything more, I am only a phone call away.

Burke says if/when you need him to donate blood in your name just let him know. (I can vouch for the quality of his blood, it is strong and brave).