Saturday, August 16, 2008

Down the Home Stretch

As Dorothy said in the Wizard of Oz, there's no place like home. Stem cells were harvested on Wed. Aug. 13th. Thankfully enough were collected that I don't have to go through that experience again. Since the transplant can't happen right away, we were told we could go home. It is good to be home even if it is only for a few days. This is a week of rest, to give my body a break before continuing with the transplant process. The schedule has been finalized. I will be admitted to the hospital on Friday Aug. 22. The super chemo will be administered on that day and Saturday the 23rd. Sunday, appropriately, will be a day of rest. The transplant, the re-infusion of the collected stem cells, will occur on Monday Aug. 25th. I know I will be in the hospital for at least 3 weeks. I do not know how much of that time will be in isolation. It is good just to know precisely what will happen next. My job this week is to prepare myself mentally and spiritually for the transplant and the recovery period to follow. This will be a week of prayer and contemplation, working to be prepared for what will be a difficult time. No matter the difficulty, this must happen if remission is to be achieved. So this week I pray, read, and get ready, reminding myself that even in these difficult times God is with me. We will leave to return to Chicago on Thursday the 21st.
St. Peregrine, Pray for Us
Deacon John
Saturday Aug 16, 2008

No comments: