Saturday, January 12, 2008

Some Answers, More Questions

On this past Tuesday we saw the Oncologist and finally got some answers. Unfortunately, they weren't necessarily the ones we wanted, but what can you do? I was informed that I have Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma. The treatment options at this point boil down to one, a bone marrow transplant, to be done somewhere other than here in Louisville. As the Doctor explained, he wants us to go where the "next chapter of the book is being written." He said that while he is involved in research, this isn't the research being done here. So sometime in the next few months I guess we'll be hitting the road in search of the best treatment available. We are also, unfortunately, dependent on insurance. I did speak to my nurse case manager at the insurance company, and she was quite encouraging, making the options seem more open than I thought they were. It looks at the moment like we'll be heading for Chicago, but that could change. No, it wasn't the news we wanted, but short of a sudden miraculous cure, no news would be good enough. Throughout this trial, I have many things to hold on to, my wife, my family my wonderful friends, but mostly I have faith. This is new territory for all of us as we step into the darkness, not sure of what will happen. No matter what happens, faith is the thing we must not lose. I know that God is with us, leading us through this new place.

When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly. Patrick Overton

Peace
Deacon John
Jan. 12, 2008

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Deacon John,

If I am lucky enough to be chosen as your bone marrow donor, will that make us blood brothers?

Gunny John

Deacon Chuck said...

Deacon John,

Where we do we go to sign-up to be tested as donors? If there is anything we can do for you or Claudette, please let us know. As always, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Your brother in Christ,

Deacon Chuck

Unknown said...

You know that I want to be tested to see if I match. This will be one test I will gladly endure for you.