Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Whew

Just about two weeks ago I began to experience some pain in my right shoulder, in just about the same spot as one of the tumors had been. I wasn’t sure what to think, I thought it was probably nothing, but, I didn’t want to be wrong. I had an appointment to see my oncologist in late January, but I began to think I shouldn’t wait that long. I called the oncologist’s office and apparently they didn’t think I should wait either. I went in on Dec. 22 for blood tests and had to wait until today to get the results. Everything is fine. All of my blood work was in the normal range. The proteins that are markers for this cancer were either normal or below normal. Once again I felt that great sense of relief, even though I wasn’t really worried…alright I was worried. It scared the pants off me. I didn’t want to believe I had gone through all of the chemo and the transplant just to have it fail so soon. I was getting myself ready mentally for bad news. I was preparing to fight again, but thanks be to God I don’t have to. Indeed, I don’t have to go back to the doctor until May. I understand the nature of this disease, I know that eventually the news will be bad. But God willing that can wait 20 or 30 years. I am just grateful for this day. I truly believe this, I woke up today and I am breathing. The rest is God’s grace.
Deacon John
Sixth Day in the Octave of Christmas
Dec. 30, 2008

No comments: