Saturday, September 26, 2009

I'm Feeling Much Better Now....

Yesterday we completed another whirlwind trip to Chicago (nothing like spending 10 hours in a car) in order to meet the new transplant doctor and make some decisions based on the insurance company’s denial of coverage for the allogeneic transplant. We came away from the meeting with Dr. Artz feeling much better than when we went in. We had many questions, all of them were answered. Dr, Artz stated up front that my treatment is not part of the clinical trial being conducted, they simply want to use that protocol because they feel it will be the most effective. I felt better because I came away feeling that I was not simply a number in a study, but a person that they cared about. As far as the insurance denial Dr. Artz said not to worry, he would get it approved. He had his appeal letter ready, he simply wanted to talk with us first and make sure of what we wanted to do. He said he is a bulldog about these denials and assured us once he pushed the red tape aside and talked to the insurance company’s medical director, he would get approval. As far as any drugs they find objectionable, that can be fixed. He told us to call back in a month, he will have it approved by then. Impressive. We discussed a variety of treatment options, and why this option is the best at this time. When we asked him the question no doctor likes, what would you do, he hesitated a bit then said that with all I have going for me, a perfect donor match, being relatively young for a myeloma patient, and being otherwise in generally good health, knowing all the risks involved, he would not hesitate to do it. I believe him. I am once again convinced God led us to the right place, that this is where we will get the best treatment, this is our best chance at success. We definitely feel much better now, and are ready to move forward.
Deacon John
Feast of Sts. Cosmas and Damian
Sept. 25, 2009
St. Peregrine, pray for us
Blessed John XXIII, pray for us

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God will make a way where there is no way. Greater is He that lives in us than he that lives in the world.

I could go on all day praising but you know what I mean and I have other things to do.

Love and hugs all around.


Maggie