Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Am Getting Very Tired...

...of this ridiculous game. This fight has been going on too long. Not the fight against Poindexter, that is a life-long struggle. I'm tired of this fight with the insurance company. Last Tuesday I saw my oncologist for a check-up and my monthly blood work. This was the week I was off of Revlimid, my week of rest. My blood counts, this time, were not optimal. I guess that helps explain why I have been so tired. My neutrophils, first line defense cells were barely 1,000. They should be 2,000. So we put off starting the next round of Revlimid until yesterday, to give my body a bit more time to recover. All chemotherapy is cumulative, so I wasn't surprised, but it didn't strike as the best news. The Doc said it was no big deal, but I have to wonder how much longer I can stay on Revlimid. I need the transplant! But, I digress. The doctor lowered the dose of the Revlimid to 15 mg. from 25, hoping this will keep Poindexter in check and help my blood counts as well. I waited for the call from the specialty pharmacy that supplies my Revlimid. They normally call soon after the doctor reorders the drug. They didn't call Wednesday, they didn't call Thursday, so Friday I called the Doctor's office. They assured me they had faxed in my order, so I figured the pharmacy would call soon. But, by Monday they had still not called, Monday, the day I was supposed to start taking Revlimid again. So first thing yesterday, I called the doctor's office. They contacted the pharmacy and were told the pharmacy was, for whatever reason waiting on an authorization from...the insurance company. To say the least I was not pleased. I started calling all of the insurance numbers I had, without success. I finally called my employer, and asked for help. Thankfully within in two hours I heard from the pharmacy setting up delivery of the drug. So here I sit on this snowy Tuesday morning, at home instead of at work where I am sure I am needed because of the weather, listening to Bach and waiting for UPS to bring my life support. I guess now I'm not fighting just for the transplant, but for any treatment at all. Or perhaps it was just a mix up. I really don't know. I suppose I'll find out next month, when we start the eleventh cycle of Revlimid. I'm getting very, very tired of this game...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You can't see me, but I am there waiting with you. Love and strength flow from my prayers. Hope to see you soon.