Monday, March 22, 2010

At Long, Long, Last

Just over a year ago I relapsed, my multiple myeloma returned. Doctors determined that the best course of action would be an allogeneic stem cell transplant, a bone marrow transplant with the marrow coming from a donor. My youngest sister was determined to be a match and we were prepared to move forward, but we had to first convince the insurance company. It took a year, more than a year, but finally the insurance company relented. My sister has made her contribution, and now it is time. Tomorrow I enter the hospital for 6 days of chemo, a day of rest, then the long awaited transplant. I've waited for this, wanted this, need this, but I still approach this day with some trepidation. To not be afraid would be foolish. I actually feel pretty good right now, and I know after this I will feel awful, at least for a while. The trade, however is worth it. I can take feeling bad for a few months for the chance at years of remission. So tomorrow I will go in to the hospital, and in about a month I will come out, I will come out as a cancer survivor.
Deacon John
Fifth Sunday of Lent
March 21, 2010
St. Peregrine, Pray for Us
Blessed John XXIII, Pray for Us

No comments: